Block Party Permit Application Header Image

Please note that you will need the following materials available and ready to upload before starting the permit application:

Digital copy of your road closure notification letter

Digital copy of your event site map

Block Party permits must be submitted at least 15 days prior to the scheduled event. The Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism will not approve permit paperwork that is turned in past the deadline.

Block Party Permit Application - Form 22D

The organizer of a special event must fill out the application no less than 15 business days prior to the start of the event. A non-refundable application fee will be charged.

Permit Process 

The permit application process begins when you submit a completed Special Event Permit Application to the City of Greenville. Keep in mind that receipt of your application should in no way be construed as final approval or confirmation of your request. A representative from the City will contact you upon receiving the application and thereafter will serve as your primary point of contact for the processing of your permit. Copies of the application are forwarded and reviewed by all affected City departments and/or public agencies. You may be contacted individually by these departments or agencies only if they have specific questions or concerns about your event. Throughout the review process you will be notified if your event requires any additional information, permits, licenses or certificates. 

During the initial application reviewing process, you will be allowed time to provide us with all pending documents (e.g. certificate of insurance, secondary permits, etc.). These items must be received before issuing a Special Event Permit. Delays in providing these items often delay our ability to finish our review process and approve your application in a timely manner. Due to the many changing components of an event, in most cases, Special Event Permits are issued only a few days in advance of the event date. 

Applicant Information

Applicant Name*
Mailing Address*

Event Information

Event Date*

WARNING! The event date that you selected is within 15 days of today. Block Party permits must be submitted at least 15 days prior to the scheduled event. The Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism will not approve permit paperwork that is turned in past the deadline.  

Include AM or PM
Include AM or PM
Road Closure*
Include AM or PM
Include AM or PM
Event Address*
Include AM or PM
Include AM or PM

Safety and Security

Types of security needed*

Road closure security is provided by sworn, off-duty, City of Greenville Police Officers. Cost for security is $30 per hour per officer for a minimum of (3) three hours. The Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism will coordinate with Greenville Police Department to schedule officers. A Police Service Agreement must be signed before the Special Event Permit is issued. The applicant will be invoiced for this service after the event is held.

The Greenville Police Department has the right to require block parties to hire road closure security if they deem that the road closure is a risk to public safety. 

Include AM or PM
Include AM or PM

Voice/ Music Amplification

Will your event include musical entertainment?*
Will your event require amplified sound?*

Operation of amplifying equipment is restricted to the hours of 8:00 am - 10:00 pm.

Include AM or PM
Include AM or PM

If Sound Checks Will be Conducted Prior to the Event Please Indicate Times:

Include AM or PM
Include AM or PM

A special event permit should not be mistaken for a "noise permit." Please note that the volume of the sound (including amplifying equipment) is required to be controlled as that it is not unreasonably loud, raucous, or disturbing to a reasonable person. A Greenville City Police Officer may determine that noise during a permitted event is offensive to others and may require applicant to stop the noise. Also, the GPD may order musical entertainment to cease because it may incite a crowd to become unruly and risks injury. 

Tents and Signage

Will tents be used for this event?*

Pavement Holes/ Marring: Drilling into pavement (parking lots, streets, sidewalks, curbs, etc.) is strictly prohibited. All signage and anchoring must be accomplished with weights such as sandbags, concrete, or water-filled barrels.

Will signs or banners be hung for this event?*

Fastening or attaching any rope, sign, banner, flyer or other object to any tree, shrub, or park feature on any City of Greenville property is strictly prohibited.


Does the event include mechanical rides, spacewalk, or other attractions?
Please Note: Inflatables & bounce houses are not allowed as part of a special event permit.*
Amusement ride companies are required to provide the City of Greenville with a certificate of insurance, naming the City of Greenville as additional insured on general liability. Amusement ride companies must also provide a written document detailing how they plan to weigh down and secure the rides/ inflatables. The applicant must agree that any structures, which are to be placed on the public right of way, shall not be situated or constructed so as to present any physical threat to pedestrians traversing the public way in the vicinity of said structures.

Hazardous Materials

Will the event have any hazardous materials such as propane, butane, gasoline, diesel tanks, helium cylinders or other upright tanks? *

All tanks must be secured in a manner to prevent accidentally being knocked over. All helium tanks not being used shall have their caps in place.

Will there be any portable heaters? *
Will there be any deep fat fryers?*
Will there be any fireworks, lasers, torches, candles or pyrotechnics?*

An application must be submitted to the Greenville Fire Department for a City and State Fireworks Permit at least 30 days prior to the event (467-4450).

Route and Traffic Plan

Please fill in the following information regarding road closures for the event.

Please note: We do not allow partial road closures. You must close the road from one intersection to another. In the example below, Buist Ave must be closed from Claret Drive to Townes Street.

All neighbors who are located within the event site must approve of the road closure.

Include AM or PM
Include AM or PM

Applicant must post "No Parking" signs along city roads where public parking spaces exist within the event site. The City requires that the event use City-owned signs that may be checked out from and returned to the City of Greenville Special Events Department within one week of check out date. If signage is lost, stolen, or damaged, the applicant will need to reimburse the City of Greenville $5.00 per sign. The applicant will be fined $100.00 if the signs are not taken down by the end time stated on the applicant's approved permit.

Resident and/or Business Notification

Events that require road closures, or may cause disruption for City of Greenville residents, businesses, churches, etc., must mail or hand deliver notification to the affected parties two weeks prior to the event. Notices must reflect the date(s), day(s) time(s) and location(s) of the event, types of activities taking place during your event and the event coordinator’s contact information. The notice must give detour or alternate route information if normal access is affected. Applicants may be required to provide advisory signs (placed a minimum of one week prior to the event) if your event impacts a major roadway. Advisory signs are intended to provide advanced notice to the regular users of a roadway of the scheduled closure. Please provide a sample of the notice and a proposed list of recipients with your application.

Road Closure Notification Verification Date*
Must be at least 2 weeks prior to the event date

WARNING! The road closure notification date that you selected is within 14 days of the scheduled event date. Road closure notifications must be sent at least 14 days prior to the scheduled event. Please update your road closure notification date before continuing.

Event Documents

Please Upload a Copy of your Road Closure Notification*
No File Chosen
File uploads may not work on some mobile devices.
Please Upload a Copy of your Event Site Map*
No File Chosen
File uploads may not work on some mobile devices.

Hold Harmless Clause

Applicant/organization hereby shall assume all risks incident to or in connection with the permitted activity and shall be solely responsible for damage or injury, of whatever kind or nature, to person or property, directly or indirectly arising out of or in connection with the permitted activity or the conduct of applicant's operation. Applicant hereby expressly agrees to defend and save the City harmless from any penalties for violation of law, ordinance, or regulation affecting its activity and from any and all claims, suits, losses, damages or injuries directly or indirectly arising out of or in connection with the permitted activity or conduct of its operation or resulting from the negligence or intentional acts or omissions of applicant or its officers, agents and employees.

Use your mouse or finger to draw your signature above